The most recent updates from my various webpages. To keep up-to-date on the topics covered, follow @andrew_grantham on Twitter for railways (and other things which interest me), and @ConcreteEar for sound mirrors and suchlike.
If you thought Afghanistan was bereft of railroads, read on for a story of international intrigue, invasion plans, the Great Game, and powers imperial and hydro-electric.
- Herat to Torghundi railway study comissioned 20 April 2016
On 4 April 2016 Afghanistan’s Ministry of Public Works signed a contract for Canadian consultancy Canarail to undertake a technical feasibility study for a proposed railway which would run from Herat …
- The first containers in Afghanistan 24 March 2016
Containers were introduced to Afghanistan in late 1972 when….
- Lapis Lazuli railway inauguration soon 27 February 2016
A piece of lapis lazuli from Afghanistan. During a recent visit to Aqina in Faryab province, Mohammad Shakir Kargar, the Afghan President’s advisor on Central Asian affairs, gave officials the go-ahea …
- Tajik-Turkmen agreement on TAT railway still awaited 21 February 2016
Tajikistan and Turkmenistan still failed to reach an agreement on an Afghan segment of a regional rail link that will connect Turkmenistan, Afghanistan and Tajikistan (TAT regional rail line). “Unfort …
- Crossing the Friendship Bridge on foot 13 February 2016
An article by traveller Jonny Blair describing crossing the Uzbekistan-Afghanistan border. It includes pictures of a freight train crossing the Friendship Bridge as he walks across. At this moment a f …
Follow @ConcreteEar on Twitter for sound mirror news and updates.
- ‘Remembering 1916’ exhibition in Croydon 22 March 2016
The Remembering 1916 – Life on the Western Front exhibition about the First World War in the year 1916 is being held at the Whitgift Exhibition Centre in south Croydon from 12 March to 31 August 2016. …
- Winding by FunKingPoets 7 March 2016
Winding, a track from the album One Day by FunKingPoets, with images of the Denge sound mirrors.
- Huw Morgan’s Sound Mirrors 31 December 2015
Huw Morgan is a composer, organist and conductor is “drawn to the power of ancient, haunted landscapes and their lost inhabitants; fascinated by impermanence, space, and time.” This is the first perfo …
- Psychogeographic study of a sound mirror 29 November 2015
sound mirror (abbott's cliff, dover) from Rhi Bowen on Vimeo.
- Sound mirror short story 18 July 2015
‘The Sound Mirrors’ by Charlotte Buchanan
- Mobile friendly 13 April 2015
I have changed this website’s WordPress theme, so hopefully it should now be more mobile device friendly. Let me know if anything doesn’t work. Meanwhile, I would recommend following “Historical Railw …
- New coaches for Iraqi Republic Railways 16 January 2015
Tüvasaş has built 14 coaches for Iraqi Republic Railways, including 2 sleeping, 4 couchette and 2 restaurant cars pic.twitter.com/CM4IdLrKvC — Railway Gazette (@railwaygazette) January 14, 2015
- Derailment response vehicle for IRR 29 September 2014
One of 7 Zagro derailment response vehicles ordered by Iraqi Republic Railways, on show at #InnoTrans pic.twitter.com/J0HmL5iUER — Railway Gazette (@railwaygazette) September 26, 2014
- New Chinese train for Iraq unveiled 25 February 2014
The first of the new inter-city trains for the Baghdad – Basra corridor has been rolled out by Chinese manufacturer CSR Sifang.
- Egyptian Railways website 5 December 2013
Mark Goldfinch, author of the excellent book Steel in the Sand, has an unofficial website on Egyptian Railways. The Egyptian Railways Diwan is described as “a website and blog area intended to fill th …
If God had intended us to fly, He would never have given us the railways.
- Zagreb funicular railway 8 June 2015
The funicular railway in Zagreb, Croatia, is a whole 66 metres long. There is lots of information about the Zagreb funicular at the Funimag website.
- Eurostar Velaro on test in Brussels 5 May 2015
A short and shaky video of a new Siemens Velaro high speed trainset for Eurostar, on test at Brussels Midi station on 25 April 2015.
- Tours tram wireless operation 18 January 2015
Videos of Alstom Citadis 402 trams in the French city of Tours switching from 750 V DC overhead to APS ground-level power supply, outside the main station. APS catenary-free operation is used on a 1·8 …
- Steam loco at InnoTrans 2014 2 October 2014
HF Wiebe GmbH’s Hanomag 9445/1925 0-4-0T ‘Emma’, offering cab rides at the InnoTrans 2014 trade fair held in Berlin, Germany, during September 2014.
- West Croydon ticket machine offers unexpected option 24 February 2014
I was rather surprised to find a ticket machine at London Overground’s West Croydon station offering me the option of a ticket valid for travel “By West Anglia Great Northern only” when I was buying t …