The most recent updates from my various webpages. To keep up-to-date on the topics covered, follow @andrew_grantham on Twitter for railways (and other things which interest me), and @ConcreteEar for sound mirrors and suchlike.
If you thought Afghanistan was bereft of railroads, read on for a story of international intrigue, invasion plans, the Great Game, and powers imperial and hydro-electric.
- Afghanistan and China sign railway feasibility study memorandum 26 June 2017
Afghan Ambassador to China Janan Mosazai and a Chinese construction company signed a memorandum of understanding on 8 June 2017 for a Chinese-funded feasibility study to be conducted within the next 1 …
- Aqina border crossing between Afghanistan and Turkmenistan upgraded 22 June 2017
To improve legitimate flow of people and goods and enhance counter trafficking capacity, UNDP’s EU-BOMNAF [Border Management Northern Afghanistan] Project recently completed construction of a new faci …
- AP Archive footage of the Friendship Bridge 3 May 2017
An undated AP video of the Uzbek end of the Friendship Bridge. “Kharitom” is another variant spelling of Hairaton, Hayratan etc to add to the list…
- Khaf – Herat railway contractor 1 May 2017
Iranian company Ballast describes itscontract for work on the Khaf – Herat railway project in an undated article on its website: Client: Construction and Development of Transportation Infrastructure C …
- Turkmenistan – Aqina railway photographs 11 April 2017
Some photos of the railway from Turkmenistan to Aqina on the Afghan border, which was opened in November 2016. 30,000 tons commercial goods imprted via #Aqina port frm #Turkmenistan n 2 past months,th …
Follow @ConcreteEar on Twitter for sound mirror news and updates.
- How to find planes without radar 13 February 2017
Acoustic mirrors: how to find planes without radar, by Al Williams at Hackaday (“entertainment for engineers and engineering enthusiasts”): While today the acoustic mirror is a museum curiosity, befor …
- 2017 Denge sound mirror open day date 6 February 2017
This year’s annual open day at the Denge sound mirrors is scheduled for 10:00 to 15:00 on Saturday 15 July 2017. Open days are the ONLY WAY to access the Denge listening ears. There will be a cash-onl …
- Stuck at Dover? See a sound mirror! 25 July 2016
The Guardian article How to amuse yourself in a 14-hour queue at Dover suggests: “The A20 between Folkestone and Dover can be an area of breathtaking beauty, with sea views and endless greenery to dis …
- Covenant names new single Sound Mirrors 14 July 2016
Swedish band Covenant has announced that its new single to be released on 26 August 2016 will be called ‘Sound Mirrors’. Music publisher Dependent says: Covenant’s new single ‚Sound Mirrors’ gives us …
- Drone films Denge sound mirrors 13 July 2016
Filming with a drone – The Dungeness Sound Mirrors. pic.twitter.com/Kc2zZ0CZJW — Tim Paine (@TimPaine) June 25, 2016 CEMEX UK commissioned ECP Video to produce a short documentary on the history of th …
- Pictures of Baghdad Central station 29 November 2016
BBC report In pictures: The crown jewel of Iraq’s railway. See if you can spot the steam loco in the second and the last photos.
- Mobile friendly 13 April 2015
I have changed this website’s WordPress theme, so hopefully it should now be more mobile device friendly. Let me know if anything doesn’t work. Meanwhile, I would recommend following “Historical Railw …
- New coaches for Iraqi Republic Railways 16 January 2015
Tüvasaş has built 14 coaches for Iraqi Republic Railways, including 2 sleeping, 4 couchette and 2 restaurant cars pic.twitter.com/CM4IdLrKvC — Railway Gazette (@railwaygazette) January 14, 2015
- Derailment response vehicle for IRR 29 September 2014
One of 7 Zagro derailment response vehicles ordered by Iraqi Republic Railways, on show at #InnoTrans pic.twitter.com/J0HmL5iUER — Railway Gazette (@railwaygazette) September 26, 2014
- New Chinese train for Iraq unveiled 25 February 2014
The first of the new inter-city trains for the Baghdad – Basra corridor has been rolled out by Chinese manufacturer CSR Sifang.
If God had intended us to fly, He would never have given us the railways.
- North Downs Way – Detling to Lenham 8 July 2017
Walking the North Downs Way from Detling to Lenham in Kent. Some nice views at last, a ruined castle, a good pub – and very little exposure to motorways!
- North Downs Way – Cuxton to Detling 17 June 2017
Walking the North Downs Way from Cuxton to Detling in Kent. Crossing the Medway, and High Speed 1 as a change from motorways.
- North Downs Way – Otford to Cuxton 6 May 2017
Walking the North Downs Way from Otford to Cuxton in Kent. A long stretch, but finally escaping motorway noise (mostly). A diversion to the interesting little Rising Sun pub just off the route at Cotm …
- North Downs Way – Oxted to Otford 30 April 2017
The section of the North Downs Way from Oxted in Surrey to Otford in Kent. Some deer, a nice church, a pub, trees, bluebells, a long-distance view towards London, Chevening, unexpected sculpture… and …
- Alfred Pollard VC paving stone unveiled 29 April 2017
A Victoria Cross paving stone commemorating Alfred Pollard was unveiled at Wallington library on 29 April 2017, the 100th anniversary of the date when he won the VC during World War I.