The most recent updates from my various webpages. To keep up-to-date on the topics covered, follow @andrew_grantham on Twitter for railways (and other things which interest me), and @ConcreteEar for sound mirrors and suchlike.
If you thought Afghanistan was bereft of railroads, read on for a story of international intrigue, invasion plans, the Great Game, and powers imperial and hydro-electric.
- Turkmenistan – Aqina railway photographs 11 April 2017
Some photos of the railway from Turkmenistan to Aqina on the Afghan border, which was opened in November 2016. 30,000 tons commercial goods imprted via #Aqina port frm #Turkmenistan n 2 past months,th …
- Hairatan video 3 April 2017
I’ve no idea what this Mitranews report is about, but there are trains at 0:30 and 2:40.
- Rail freight in Hairatan 2 April 2017
- Freight from China arrives in Hairatan 16 March 2017
Video showing freight service from China arriving at Hairatan.
- Iran – Herat railway to open next year? 1 March 2017
There are (once again!) reports that the railway under construction between Iran and Herat will open by the next Iranian new year, that is March 2018. Iran’s Mehr News Agency reports that Hossein Asho …
Follow @ConcreteEar on Twitter for sound mirror news and updates.
- How to find planes without radar 13 February 2017
Acoustic mirrors: how to find planes without radar, by Al Williams at Hackaday (“entertainment for engineers and engineering enthusiasts”): While today the acoustic mirror is a museum curiosity, befor …
- 2017 Denge sound mirror open day date 6 February 2017
This year’s annual open day at the Denge sound mirrors is scheduled for 10:00 to 15:00 on Saturday 15 July 2017. Open days are the ONLY WAY to access the Denge listening ears. There will be a cash-onl …
- Stuck at Dover? See a sound mirror! 25 July 2016
The Guardian article How to amuse yourself in a 14-hour queue at Dover suggests: “The A20 between Folkestone and Dover can be an area of breathtaking beauty, with sea views and endless greenery to dis …
- Covenant names new single Sound Mirrors 14 July 2016
Swedish band Covenant has announced that its new single to be released on 26 August 2016 will be called ‘Sound Mirrors’. Music publisher Dependent says: Covenant’s new single ‚Sound Mirrors’ gives us …
- Drone films Denge sound mirrors 13 July 2016
Filming with a drone – The Dungeness Sound Mirrors. pic.twitter.com/Kc2zZ0CZJW — Tim Paine (@TimPaine) June 25, 2016 CEMEX UK commissioned ECP Video to produce a short documentary on the history of th …
- Pictures of Baghdad Central station 29 November 2016
BBC report In pictures: The crown jewel of Iraq’s railway. See if you can spot the steam loco in the second and the last photos.
- Mobile friendly 13 April 2015
I have changed this website’s WordPress theme, so hopefully it should now be more mobile device friendly. Let me know if anything doesn’t work. Meanwhile, I would recommend following “Historical Railw …
- New coaches for Iraqi Republic Railways 16 January 2015
Tüvasaş has built 14 coaches for Iraqi Republic Railways, including 2 sleeping, 4 couchette and 2 restaurant cars pic.twitter.com/CM4IdLrKvC — Railway Gazette (@railwaygazette) January 14, 2015
- Derailment response vehicle for IRR 29 September 2014
One of 7 Zagro derailment response vehicles ordered by Iraqi Republic Railways, on show at #InnoTrans pic.twitter.com/J0HmL5iUER — Railway Gazette (@railwaygazette) September 26, 2014
- New Chinese train for Iraq unveiled 25 February 2014
The first of the new inter-city trains for the Baghdad – Basra corridor has been rolled out by Chinese manufacturer CSR Sifang.
If God had intended us to fly, He would never have given us the railways.
- Croatian armoured train 11 February 2017
Croatian national railway Hrvatske Željeznice and the Brodosplit Shipyard in Split converted two wagons and a diesel locomotive into an armoured train (oklopni vlak in Croatian) in 1991.1 The vehicles …
- Memorial effigies at Lingfield church 22 January 2017
Memorials at the church of St Peter & St Paul in Lingfield, Surrey, photographed on 21 January 2017. The impressive tomb and effigy of Sir Reginald de Cobham, 1st Baron Cobham of Sterborough. And …
- Crystal Palace FC steam train 15 May 2016
Crystal Palace FC organised a steam-hauled train from Clapham Junction, Selhurst and West Croydon to Southampton for their final league game of the 2015/2016 season on Sunday 15 May 2016. Here it is p …
- Zagreb funicular railway 8 June 2015
The funicular railway in Zagreb, Croatia, is a whole 66 metres long. There is lots of information about the Zagreb funicular at the Funimag website.
- Eurostar Velaro on test in Brussels 5 May 2015
A short and shaky video of a new Siemens Velaro high speed trainset for Eurostar, on test at Brussels Midi station on 25 April 2015.