The most recent updates from my various webpages. To keep up-to-date on the topics covered, follow @andrew_grantham on Twitter for railways (and other things which interest me), and @ConcreteEar for sound mirrors and suchlike.
If you thought Afghanistan was bereft of railroads, read on for a story of international intrigue, invasion plans, the Great Game, and powers imperial and hydro-electric.
- 3 September 2020King Amanullah crossing the Polish-Soviet border
The border between between Poland and the USSR decorated with a banner saying “Hello Shah of Afghanistan” when King Amanullah of Afghanistan passed through by train on his way between Warsaw and Mosco …
- 14 August 2020August freight traffic
The Afghan Railways says 3,000 tonnes of goods have been imported to Afghanistan in the past two weeks.#Afghanistan pic.twitter.com/nrw5oSkDDA — Hazratosman Noori (@HazratosmanN) August 14, 2020
- 24 July 2020Map of the country between Sind and Candahar showing the course of the proposed Railway
Map Treasures from The Pamir Archive.Extract No 4221880 Richard Temple 'The Highway from the Indus to Candahar': "Map of the country between Sind and Candahar showing the course of the …
- 7 July 2020International connections
Afghanistan is almost connected with #Iran via Herat- Khaf railwys. Also Afghanistan will be connected with #Chabahar port through railways. pic.twitter.com/ywNl6YkEUw — Waheed Faizi (@Imwaheedfaizi) …
- 21 May 2020Merger suspended
President #AshraGhani issued a decree to suspend a previous order to merge the Ministry of Public Works, the Civil Aviation Authority, the Directorate of Railways, and the Traffic Department of the Mi …
Follow @ConcreteEar on Twitter for sound mirror news and updates.
- 2 September 2020Sound mirror talk and exhibition in Ramsgate
Sonic reflections 09/09/2020 | 5 p.m. East Cliff Bandstand, Wellington Crescent, Ramsgate This talk will see guest speakers discussing their experience in researching the history & archaeology of …
- 1 September 2020Exploratorium sound mirrors
San Francisco sound mirrors: They have a pair of sound mirrors facing each other @exploratorium. Students always look happy trying them out. I can't help but think of those who spent many lonely …
- 23 August 2020Kilnsea and Redcar
A WW1 acoustic mirror lovingly preserved in the middle of a modern housing estate in Redcar, Cleveland. pic.twitter.com/BmtPkGoTL2 — KThomas O (@soullessparty) August 22, 2020
- 30 July 2020Sound mirrors at the Ramsgate Festival of Sound 2020
The East Kent Coast Discovery Programme has received Arts Council funding to host an exhibition and installation on sound mirrors as part of the Ramsgate Festival of Sound. Echoes explores the archaeo …
- 4 September 2019Re)collecting (f)ears sound mirror art events
re)collecting (f)ears is a series of site-specific performances at fallen sound mirrors across the Kent coast. The project will culminate with a publication produced by Well Projects and an exhibition …
- 25 June 2018PC class streamlined loco photo
- 29 November 2016Pictures of Baghdad Central station
BBC report In pictures: The crown jewel of Iraq’s railway. See if you can spot the steam loco in the second and the last photos.
- 13 April 2015Mobile friendly
I have changed this website’s WordPress theme, so hopefully it should now be more mobile device friendly. Let me know if anything doesn’t work. Meanwhile, I would recommend following “Historical Railw …
- 16 January 2015New coaches for Iraqi Republic Railways
Tüvasaş has built 14 coaches for Iraqi Republic Railways, including 2 sleeping, 4 couchette and 2 restaurant cars pic.twitter.com/CM4IdLrKvC — Railway Gazette (@railwaygazette) January 14, 2015
- 29 September 2014Derailment response vehicle for IRR
One of 7 Zagro derailment response vehicles ordered by Iraqi Republic Railways, on show at #InnoTrans pic.twitter.com/J0HmL5iUER — Railway Gazette (@railwaygazette) September 26, 2014
If God had intended us to fly, He would never have given us the railways.
- 26 October 2020Capital Ring – Grove Park to Crystal Palace
All the way back to where I started.
- 24 October 2020Capital Ring – Woolwich to Grove Park
- 19 October 2020Capital Ring – West Ham to Woolwich
Not the most inspiring section of the Capital Ring; a long straight path on top of a sewer, then some housing, the bleakness of the former docks, a diversion because the path over a lock gate was clos …
- 19 September 2020Capital Ring – Finsbury Park to West Ham
One of the more interesting sections of the Capital Ring. It covers places I’ve not been to before, and would never really have any reason to go to, and a fair bit of the path is alongside waterways. …
- 7 September 2020Capital Ring – Hendon to Finsbury Park