The most recent updates from my various webpages. To keep up-to-date on the topics covered, follow @andrew_grantham on Twitter for railways (and other things which interest me), and @ConcreteEar for sound mirrors and suchlike.
If you thought Afghanistan was bereft of railroads, read on for a story of international intrigue, invasion plans, the Great Game, and powers imperial and hydro-electric.
- Programme of the opening ceremony of the Khyber Railway 25 November 2018
A copy of the programme for the official opening of the Khyber Pass railway on 2 November 1925.
- Afghanistan Railway Authority on Twitter 30 October 2018
The Afghanistan Railway Authority’s hitherto dormant Twitter account sprang into life today. انتقال کالاها از طریق خط آهن بندر حیرتان اداره خط آهن افغانستان زمینه واردات و صادرات کالاها را از طریق بند …
- Turkmenistan by train 12 October 2018
An article about travelling around Turkmenistan by train, from Wilbur’s Travels’ On Track website. With all too rare photos of Turkmen railways.
- New Acting Chief of Staff of the Afghanistan Railway Authority 12 October 2018
Introducing Acting Chief of Staff of ARA Engr. Mohammad Zeb Montazer Maseed, on Tuesday (Sep 25, 2018) was officially introduced as the Acting Chief of Staff of the Afghanistan Railway Authority (ARA) …
- King Amanullah at Croydon airport 11 October 2018
King Amanuallah of Afghanistan arriving in an Imperial Airways airliner at London @CroydonAirport 21st March 1928. @NafeesRehmanDr @Shahid_H_Raja @andrew_grantham pic.twitter.com/Ocn8nCp7EI — Croydon …
Follow @ConcreteEar on Twitter for sound mirror news and updates.
- Photographing the Kilnsea sound mirror 30 September 2018
Martin Fuge shows how he photographed the Kilnsea sound mirror. His other landscape photography videos are worth watching as well.
- Sound mirrors in the Financial Times 24 July 2018
An article about sound mirrors by the security and defence editor of the Financial Times. Forgotten, dilapidated and, in one case, buried by the local council as an eyesore; these smooth, spherical co …
- Dungeness sound mirror open day 7 July 2018
Thank you to all 350 visitors who came to support our open day. Good turn out considering this weekends sporting events… The next one is on the 1st September! @RSPB_SouthEast @concreteear pic.twitter. …
- Sound mirrors in The Telegraph 30 April 2018
Today they’re usually called ‘sound mirrors’ or ‘listening ears’ – and to a certain sort of person they are one of the holy grails of aircraft surveillance. The ‘big ears’ of Kent built to keep Blight …
- 2018 Denge sound mirror open days 12 March 2018
There will be two open days at the Denge sound mirrors this year. The open days are scheduled for 10:00 to 15:00 on Saturday 7 July 2018 and Saturday 1 September 2018. There will be a cash-only charge …
- PC class streamlined loco photo 25 June 2018
- Pictures of Baghdad Central station 29 November 2016
BBC report In pictures: The crown jewel of Iraq’s railway. See if you can spot the steam loco in the second and the last photos.
- Mobile friendly 13 April 2015
I have changed this website’s WordPress theme, so hopefully it should now be more mobile device friendly. Let me know if anything doesn’t work. Meanwhile, I would recommend following “Historical Railw …
- New coaches for Iraqi Republic Railways 16 January 2015
Tüvasaş has built 14 coaches for Iraqi Republic Railways, including 2 sleeping, 4 couchette and 2 restaurant cars pic.twitter.com/CM4IdLrKvC — Railway Gazette (@railwaygazette) January 14, 2015
- Derailment response vehicle for IRR 29 September 2014
One of 7 Zagro derailment response vehicles ordered by Iraqi Republic Railways, on show at #InnoTrans pic.twitter.com/J0HmL5iUER — Railway Gazette (@railwaygazette) September 26, 2014
If God had intended us to fly, He would never have given us the railways.
- Berlin to London by train 30 September 2018
- Thames Path – Wallingford to Abingdon 7 September 2018
A work in progress, and a bit of an experiment.
- A ride on the Itchenor ferry 29 August 2018
A trip on the Itchenor ferry, which crosses a branch of Chichester Harbour between the public jetty at Itchenor and the hard at Smugglers Lane south of Bosham in West Sussex.
- Some of my favourite things in Salzburg 24 August 2018
These are some of my favourite things from a recent visit to Salzburg. Raindrops, on roses, and whiskers on kittens Bright copper kettles, and warm woollen mittens Brown, paper packages, tied up with …
- Tinkers Park bus and model railway event 7 August 2018
The August 2018 model railway and bus event at Tinkers Park in East Sussex.