The most recent updates from my various webpages. To keep up to date on the topics covered – and other things which interest me – follow @andrew_grantham on Twitter.
If you thought Afghanistan was bereft of railroads, read on for a story of international intrigue, invasion plans, the Great Game, and powers imperial and hydro-electric.
- Photos of development in Afghanistan 24 January 2016
The Asian Development Bank website has published some photos by Kabul-born documentary photographer Jawad Jalali, who “traveled across Afghanistan to capture the country’s development through his lens …
- Afghanistan National Railway Plan at the CAREC Railway Working Group 21 December 2015
The First Meeting of the Central Asia Regional Economic Cooperation organisation’s Railway Working Group was held on Tokyo on 24-26 November 2015. The CAREC Railway Working Group was formed after the …
- ADB suspends TAT railway funding 20 December 2015
According to a news report, on 15 December 2015 the Asian Development Bank’s Country Director for Tajikistan, Si Si Yu, told reporters that ADB had suspended its financial support for the construction …
- Turkmenistan’s Afghan border rail link nears completion 17 November 2015
View Turkmenistan – Andkhoy railway plan in a larger map Turkmenistan has completed construction of the 85 km Atamurat1 – Imamnazar2 section of the future Turkmenistan – Afghanistan – Tajikistan railw …
- Amo Hairatan Oil Refinery video 15 November 2015
A video of the Amo Hairatan Oil Refinery. There are no trains in the video as far as I can see, but a railway siding features from 09:54 and 10:18. According to its website, Amo Hairatan Refinery LLC …
- Huw Morgan’s Sound Mirrors 31 December 2015
Huw Morgan is a composer, organist and conductor is “drawn to the power of ancient, haunted landscapes and their lost inhabitants; fascinated by impermanence, space, and time.” This is the first perfo …
- Psychogeographic study of a sound mirror 29 November 2015
sound mirror (abbott's cliff, dover) from Rhi Bowen on Vimeo.
- Sound mirror short story 18 July 2015
‘The Sound Mirrors’ by Charlotte Buchanan
- Redcar sound mirror interview 20 June 2015
BBC interview about the sound mirror in Redcar: “In 1916 it was sitting in open farm land. Since then a modern housing estate has grown up around it. The concrete structure has not always been treated …
- Sunderland sound mirror restoration 18 June 2015
Beaumont Brown Architects describe their work to restore the Sunderland sound mirror which was recently completed.
- Mobile friendly 13 April 2015
I have changed this website’s WordPress theme, so hopefully it should now be more mobile device friendly. Let me know if anything doesn’t work. Meanwhile, I would recommend following “Historical Railw …
- New coaches for Iraqi Republic Railways 16 January 2015
Tüvasaş has built 14 coaches for Iraqi Republic Railways, including 2 sleeping, 4 couchette and 2 restaurant cars pic.twitter.com/CM4IdLrKvC — Railway Gazette (@railwaygazette) January 14, 2015
- Derailment response vehicle for IRR 29 September 2014
One of 7 Zagro derailment response vehicles ordered by Iraqi Republic Railways, on show at #InnoTrans pic.twitter.com/J0HmL5iUER — Railway Gazette (@railwaygazette) September 26, 2014
- New Chinese train for Iraq unveiled 25 February 2014
The first of the new inter-city trains for the Baghdad – Basra corridor has been rolled out by Chinese manufacturer CSR Sifang.
- Egyptian Railways website 5 December 2013
Mark Goldfinch, author of the excellent book Steel in the Sand, has an unofficial website on Egyptian Railways. The Egyptian Railways Diwan is described as “a website and blog area intended to fill th …
If God had intended us to fly, He would never have given us the railways.
- Zagreb funicular railway 8 June 2015
The funicular railway in Zagreb, Croatia, is a whole 66 metres long. There is lots of information about the Zagreb funicular at the Funimag website.
- Eurostar Velaro on test in Brussels 5 May 2015
A short and shakey video of a new Siemens Velaro high speed trainset for Eurostar, on test at Brussels Midi station on 25 April 2015.
- Tours tram wireless operation 18 January 2015
Videos of Alstom Citadis 402 trams in the French city of Tours switching from 750 V DC overhead to APS ground-level power supply, outside the main station. APS catenary-free operation is used on a 1·8 …
- Steam loco at InnoTrans 2014 2 October 2014
HF Wiebe GmbH’s Hanomag 9445/1925 0-4-0T ‘Emma’, offering cab rides at the InnoTrans 2014 trade fair held in Berlin, Germany, during September 2014.
- West Croydon ticket machine offers unexpected option 24 February 2014
I was rather surprised to find a ticket machine at London Overground’s West Croydon station offering me the option of a ticket valid for travel “By West Anglia Great Northern only” when I was buying t …