The most recent updates from my various webpages. To keep up-to-date on the topics covered, follow @andrew_grantham on Twitter for railways (and other things which interest me), and @ConcreteEar for sound mirrors and suchlike.
If you thought Afghanistan was bereft of railroads, read on for a story of international intrigue, invasion plans, the Great Game, and powers imperial and hydro-electric.
- Wolesi Jirga approves presidential decree on draft railway law 29 October 2019
A draft railway law was approved by the Wolesi Jirga on 28 October 2019. The Lower House of Parliament on Monday’s plenary session confirmed president’s legislative decrees regarding to law of railway …
- Fame at last? 15 October 2019
Andrew Grantham’s (@andrew_grantham) blog (with excellent photos) on Amanullah’s railway line, the great symbol of progress, from Kabul to Darulaman.https://t.co/uduPFW3Ste (LlM) — Afghan Historians ( …
- First Afghanistan to China rail freight service 10 September 2019
The first rail shipment from Afghanistan to China via Uzbekistan and Kazakhstan was dispatched earlier today during a high-level ceremony attended by officials and diplomats from four countries in the …
- Khyber Pass Railway in 2019 4 September 2019
By the way, I took a stroll through a few tunnels of the Khyber Railways between Landi Kotal and Landi Khana. Will post about it in the thread. pic.twitter.com/cZrrlAX2tM — Nafees Ur Rehman (@NafeesRe …
- Train on the Friendship Bridge 29 August 2019
Train crossing over the Hayratan bridge Afghan – Uzbik #border pic.twitter.com/SgjuayvX5x — M. Nazir Qasemi (@nazir_qasemi) December 31, 2018
Follow @ConcreteEar on Twitter for sound mirror news and updates.
- Re)collecting (f)ears sound mirror art events 4 September 2019
re)collecting (f)ears is a series of site-specific performances at fallen sound mirrors across the Kent coast. The project will culminate with a publication produced by Well Projects and an exhibition …
- Sound mirror poem 3 September 2019
Sound Mirror, a Denge sound mirror inspired poem by Derek Adams at Places of Poetry: “It does not stand on the marsh. It does not sit in the landscape. [more]” Places of Poetry “aims to use creative w …
- “Bombing the Channel Ports” by Eric Ravilious, then and now 2 September 2019
A comparison of the 1941 watercolour painting “Bombing the Channel Ports” by war artist Eric Ravilious, and the same view of the Abbott’s Cliff sound mirror on 13 August 2017. Bombing the Channel Port …
- Selsey sound mirror 17 June 2019
The Selsey sound mirror in August 2018.
- Sound mirror photos on the BBC website 7 January 2019
Black and white photos of the sound mirrors by Joe Pettet-Smith on the BBC News website. More than 100 years ago acoustic mirrors along the coast of England were used to detect the sound of approachin …
- PC class streamlined loco photo 25 June 2018
- Pictures of Baghdad Central station 29 November 2016
BBC report In pictures: The crown jewel of Iraq’s railway. See if you can spot the steam loco in the second and the last photos.
- Mobile friendly 13 April 2015
I have changed this website’s WordPress theme, so hopefully it should now be more mobile device friendly. Let me know if anything doesn’t work. Meanwhile, I would recommend following “Historical Railw …
- New coaches for Iraqi Republic Railways 16 January 2015
Tüvasaş has built 14 coaches for Iraqi Republic Railways, including 2 sleeping, 4 couchette and 2 restaurant cars pic.twitter.com/CM4IdLrKvC — Railway Gazette (@railwaygazette) January 14, 2015
- Derailment response vehicle for IRR 29 September 2014
One of 7 Zagro derailment response vehicles ordered by Iraqi Republic Railways, on show at #InnoTrans pic.twitter.com/J0HmL5iUER — Railway Gazette (@railwaygazette) September 26, 2014
If God had intended us to fly, He would never have given us the railways.
- LOOP footpath 11 – Borehamwood to Cockfosters 3 November 2019
Walking the London Outer Orbital Path from Elstree & Borehamwood station to Cockfosters – Section 16 – on 3 November 2019. Another okay but not especially exciting section of the route, with a div …
- LOOP footpath 10 – Hatch End to Borehamwood 27 October 2019
Walking the London Outer Orbital Path from Hatch End to Borehamwood – Section 15 – on 27 October 2019. An okay but not especially exciting section of the route. Guides to the path talk up passing Bent …
- A ride on the JHMD narrow gauge railway 22 September 2019
A trip on the southern section of the 760 mm gauge JMHD railway in the Czech Republic, filmed badly on a cheap phone. Here is the section of 1435/760 mm dual-gauge track in full:
- Dual gauge railway track 2 September 2019
Dual gauge railway track at Jindřichův Hradec in the Czech Republic, where 760 mm gauge JHMD services and 1435 mm gauge ČD trains share the route.
- The world’s shortest international railway 11 August 2019
What is claimed to be the “shortest international railway” runs for a few metres between Nové Údolí in the Czech Republic and the other side of the now-open border with Germany. The standard gauge lin …