The most recent updates from my various webpages. To keep up-to-date on the topics covered, follow @andrew_grantham on Twitter for railways (and other things which interest me), and @ConcreteEar for sound mirrors and suchlike.
If you thought Afghanistan was bereft of railroads, read on for a story of international intrigue, invasion plans, the Great Game, and powers imperial and hydro-electric.
- 12 January 2021Video and photos of the Aqina – Andkoy railway
(Google translation of the caption) Construction of the Aqina-Andkhoy railway has been completed and will be inaugurated by Afghan and Turkmen officials in the near future. Agineh-Andkhoy railway is 3 …
- 10 January 2021Iranian rail deal
Iran's @esfahansteel (ESCO) has signed an Agreement to Export $4.332 million worth of Rail Tracks to Afghanistan for their Railway Development Projects#VINVI #VINVICORP#Steel #Iran #Railway #Expo …
- 14 December 2020Afghan exports by rail
په تیره یوه اونۍ کې د اوسپنې پټلۍ له لارې تر ۳ زره او ۵ سوه ټنه ډیر کرنیز توکې له هیواده بهر صادر شو. pic.twitter.com/SAaY6CtFUH — Afghanistan Railway Authority (@AfGrailway) December 14, 2020 …
- 11 December 2020Construction of Herat railway Stage 4 Phase 1 launched
As part of the opening ceremonies for the first three stages of the railway from Iran, Mohammad Yama Shams, head of the Afghanistan Railway Authority, officially launched construction of Stage 4 Phase …
- 10 December 2020Khaf to Herat province railway officially opened
The railway from Khaf in Iran to Rozanak in Afghanistan was officially inaugurated on 10 December 2020. Afghanistan’s President Mohammad Ashraf Ghani and Iran’s President Hassan Rouhani participated i …
Follow @ConcreteEar on Twitter for sound mirror news and updates.
- 2 September 2020Sound mirror talk and exhibition in Ramsgate
Sonic reflections 09/09/2020 | 5 p.m. East Cliff Bandstand, Wellington Crescent, Ramsgate This talk will see guest speakers discussing their experience in researching the history & archaeology of …
- 1 September 2020Exploratorium sound mirrors
San Francisco sound mirrors: They have a pair of sound mirrors facing each other @exploratorium. Students always look happy trying them out. I can't help but think of those who spent many lonely …
- 23 August 2020Kilnsea and Redcar
A WW1 acoustic mirror lovingly preserved in the middle of a modern housing estate in Redcar, Cleveland. pic.twitter.com/BmtPkGoTL2 — KThomas O (@soullessparty) August 22, 2020
- 30 July 2020Sound mirrors at the Ramsgate Festival of Sound 2020
The East Kent Coast Discovery Programme has received Arts Council funding to host an exhibition and installation on sound mirrors as part of the Ramsgate Festival of Sound. Echoes explores the archaeo …
- 4 September 2019Re)collecting (f)ears sound mirror art events
re)collecting (f)ears is a series of site-specific performances at fallen sound mirrors across the Kent coast. The project will culminate with a publication produced by Well Projects and an exhibition …
- 25 June 2018PC class streamlined loco photo
- 29 November 2016Pictures of Baghdad Central station
BBC report In pictures: The crown jewel of Iraq’s railway. See if you can spot the steam loco in the second and the last photos.
- 13 April 2015Mobile friendly
I have changed this website’s WordPress theme, so hopefully it should now be more mobile device friendly. Let me know if anything doesn’t work. Meanwhile, I would recommend following “Historical Railw …
- 16 January 2015New coaches for Iraqi Republic Railways
Tüvasaş has built 14 coaches for Iraqi Republic Railways, including 2 sleeping, 4 couchette and 2 restaurant cars pic.twitter.com/CM4IdLrKvC — Railway Gazette (@railwaygazette) January 14, 2015
- 29 September 2014Derailment response vehicle for IRR
One of 7 Zagro derailment response vehicles ordered by Iraqi Republic Railways, on show at #InnoTrans pic.twitter.com/J0HmL5iUER — Railway Gazette (@railwaygazette) September 26, 2014
If God had intended us to fly, He would never have given us the railways.
- 26 October 2020Capital Ring – Grove Park to Crystal Palace
All the way back to where I started.
- 24 October 2020Capital Ring – Woolwich to Grove Park
- 19 October 2020Capital Ring – West Ham to Woolwich
Not the most inspiring section of the Capital Ring; a long straight path on top of a sewer, then some housing, the bleakness of the former docks, a diversion because the path over a lock gate was clos …
- 19 September 2020Capital Ring – Finsbury Park to West Ham
One of the more interesting sections of the Capital Ring. It covers places I’ve not been to before, and would never really have any reason to go to, and a fair bit of the path is alongside waterways. …
- 7 September 2020Capital Ring – Hendon to Finsbury Park