The most recent updates from my various webpages. To keep up-to-date on the topics covered, follow @andrew_grantham on Twitter for railways (and other things which interest me), and @ConcreteEar for sound mirrors and suchlike.
If you thought Afghanistan was bereft of railroads, read on for a story of international intrigue, invasion plans, the Great Game, and powers imperial and hydro-electric.
- Exciting times for Central Asian railways 11 January 2018
It's an exciting time to be a railway enthusiast in Central Asia. Here's why: https://t.co/iKjLaRbTgc pic.twitter.com/Ybs7zmj1Yq — Eurasianet (@EurasiaNet) January 9, 2018
- Uzbek and Afghan presidents discuss Mazar-i-Sharif to Herat railway 6 January 2018
Afghanistan’s President Mohammad Ashraf Ghani paid an official visit to Uzbekistan on 4-6 December 2017, at the invitation of President of Uzbekistan Shavkat Mirziyoyev. In a joint statement: 11. The …
- Conference of the Heart Of Asia – Istanbul Process 31 December 2017
Part of President Ghani’s statement at the 7th Conference of the Heart Of Asia – Istanbul Process, held in Baku, Azerbaijan, on 1 December 2017. Transport; the Chabahar port is going to be inaugurated …
- BBC video of Hayratan 7 December 2017
“”Ҳайратон” кўприги Афғонистонга неча миллион фойда келтирмоқда?” is a BBC Uzbek video about rail freight at Hayratan on the border with Uzbekistan, which was published on 30 November 2017. I don’t sp …
- Colourised photo of Darulaman train 1 December 2017
Someone has written a bot which automatically colourises photos that are sent to it via Twitter. This is what it did with a photograph of the Darualman railway. Note that this is just for fun, and it …
Follow @ConcreteEar on Twitter for sound mirror news and updates.
- How to find planes without radar 13 February 2017
Acoustic mirrors: how to find planes without radar, by Al Williams at Hackaday (“entertainment for engineers and engineering enthusiasts”): While today the acoustic mirror is a museum curiosity, befor …
- 2017 Denge sound mirror open day date 6 February 2017
This year’s annual open day at the Denge sound mirrors is scheduled for 10:00 to 15:00 on Saturday 15 July 2017. Open days are the ONLY WAY to access the Denge listening ears. There will be a cash-onl …
- Stuck at Dover? See a sound mirror! 25 July 2016
The Guardian article How to amuse yourself in a 14-hour queue at Dover suggests: “The A20 between Folkestone and Dover can be an area of breathtaking beauty, with sea views and endless greenery to dis …
- Covenant names new single Sound Mirrors 14 July 2016
Swedish band Covenant has announced that its new single to be released on 26 August 2016 will be called ‘Sound Mirrors’. Music publisher Dependent says: Covenant’s new single ‚Sound Mirrors’ gives us …
- Drone films Denge sound mirrors 13 July 2016
Filming with a drone – The Dungeness Sound Mirrors. pic.twitter.com/Kc2zZ0CZJW — Tim Paine (@TimPaine) June 25, 2016 CEMEX UK commissioned ECP Video to produce a short documentary on the history of th …
- Pictures of Baghdad Central station 29 November 2016
BBC report In pictures: The crown jewel of Iraq’s railway. See if you can spot the steam loco in the second and the last photos.
- Mobile friendly 13 April 2015
I have changed this website’s WordPress theme, so hopefully it should now be more mobile device friendly. Let me know if anything doesn’t work. Meanwhile, I would recommend following “Historical Railw …
- New coaches for Iraqi Republic Railways 16 January 2015
Tüvasaş has built 14 coaches for Iraqi Republic Railways, including 2 sleeping, 4 couchette and 2 restaurant cars pic.twitter.com/CM4IdLrKvC — Railway Gazette (@railwaygazette) January 14, 2015
- Derailment response vehicle for IRR 29 September 2014
One of 7 Zagro derailment response vehicles ordered by Iraqi Republic Railways, on show at #InnoTrans pic.twitter.com/J0HmL5iUER — Railway Gazette (@railwaygazette) September 26, 2014
- New Chinese train for Iraq unveiled 25 February 2014
The first of the new inter-city trains for the Baghdad – Basra corridor has been rolled out by Chinese manufacturer CSR Sifang.
If God had intended us to fly, He would never have given us the railways.
- Beside the sea in Withernsea 8 January 2018
A trip to Withernsea, on the North Sea coast of Holderness in the East Riding of Yorkshire, on 31 December 2017.
- Riding the Naumburg tram 22 December 2017
A trip on one of the historic trams on Germany’s shortest tramway, the Naumburger Strassenbahn, in the town of Naumburg in Sachsen-Anhalt.
- The Ghost of Lewes Viaduct 22 December 2017
A rail-themed sound and light show on the course of a former railway through Lewes, as part of the Lewes Light 2017 event. The show was designed by James Duffin with sound design by Mandie Brooks and …
- Royal Scot passes through Carshalton 21 October 2017
Steam locomotive 46100 Royal Scot passes through Carshalton station with the ‘Bognor Belle’ on 21 October 2017.
- A trip on the Drachenfels railway 9 October 2017
A trip on the Drachenfels narrow gauge rack railway near Bonn in Germany in September 2017. I was looking to have a go at filming something using a mobile phone, and this seemed a handy excuse.